Every day our bodies are exposed to more and more toxins — so much in fact, that scientist are now beginning to talk about our “chemical body burden.” The Environmental Working Group has estimated that 1 out 13 women are exposed to a known or suspected carcinogen every day, compared to 1 out of 23 men. The scary part is that a good majority of these toxins are in the very products that we are putting onto our bodies.
Our skin, being the largest organ, is one of the 4 routes by which foreign or outside substances can enter the body. The other 3 routes through which toxins enter the body are through breathing, injection, and ingestion.
Although we don’t have much control over the air we are breathing day in and day out (at least outside), the good news is we CAN control the other 3 routes to a certain extent.
What is a Toxin?
A toxin is defined as an antigenic poison or venom of plant or animal origin, especially one produced by or derived from microorganisms and which leads to disease when present in the body.
So could one say that we are literally poisoning ourselves on a day-to-day basis?
The answer unfortunately is a resounding YES.
From the foods we eat, to the air we breathe, to the products we put on our body — slowly but surely, we are poisoning ourselves from the outside-in! This is WHY if you truly want to be healthy in the 21st century, detoxing your body on a regular basis has to be part of your health regimen.
To keep the body in good health is a duty, otherwise we shall not be able to keep our mind strong and clear.
The Battle Within!
Ever wondered just what kind of damage toxins can cause within the body?
Current science and research shows that toxins can:
- damage DNA
- interfere with hormone levels
- modify gene expression
- poison enzymes
- displace structural minerals (resulting in weaker bones)
- damage the organs
- damage cell membranes
- decrease your body’s overall ability to function optimally
So what can we do about this toxic overload?
Let the Sweating Begin!
Here are a few methods you can start implementing RIGHT NOW which will decrease the toxic load in your body:
- Get to a sauna/steam room – Since the skin is our largest organ, it’s the perfect route to start getting rid of toxins fast! Our team members make it a point to hit up the sauna and/or steam room at the local gyms for 20-3o minutes at least twice a week!
- Make sure to drink plenty of water – Toxins can be eliminated through urine once the liver has cleansed the blood. A good rule of thumb is to make sure and drink half of your body weight in ounces every day. However, if you are drinking caffeine at any point throughout your day, you will want to increase that amount.
- Fasting/juicing – This gives your organs the opportunity to rest and repair thereby increasing overall health and function of the body as a whole. Always be sure to consult a doctor before undergoing a fast or juice cleanse, especially if you are on certain medications.
- Exercise – Movement of the body not only promotes healthy blood circulation but also has been shown to increase function of organs involved in the detoxification process. These include the lungs, intestines, kidneys, and immune system. Moderate to high intensity exercise will also help toxins leave the body through sweat.
- Limit exposure to toxins – Be aware of the products you are using on a day-to-day basis as well as the foods you are putting into your body. READ THE LABELS! As much as you can, eliminate products that contain phthalates, parabens, formaldehyde, synthetic colors, and propylene glycol. When it comes to food choices, try to choose organic and in-season fresh fruits/veggies, grass fed meats, and avoid anything that comes in a box which may contain added fillers and lots of preservatives.
Our ancestors have been detoxing for thousands of years!
Now more than ever, these methods have become MANDATORY…IF you are to live your best life — not just one that is FREE of disease, but that exemplifies OPTIMAL health!